• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing olives

Creola

I want to purchase a small drum of kalamata olives at Restaurant Depot and would like to know about keeping them. Websites say refrigerate but I have been in Greek deli's where they are in

drums on the floor. How long will they last at room temp?

Refrigerating olives makes them nasty - the texture becomes chalky and they lose flavor.

The whole point of salting food was to preserve it. Granted, our homes are warmer than they were in pre-modern days, but olives will last weeks in a covered container on the counter.

I'm ignoring many notes saying to refrigerate these days - anchovy jars sit out once opened too. I think it's just corporations covering their asses.

Refrigerating olives makes them nasty - the texture becomes chalky and they lose flavor.

The whole point of salting food was to preserve it. Granted, our homes are warmer than they were in pre-modern days, but olives will last weeks in a covered container on the counter.

I'm ignoring many notes saying to refrigerate these days - anchovy jars sit out once opened too. I think it's just corporations covering their asses.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I know all the countries with little or no refridgeration don't worry about leaving things out .My fridge is getting where it keeps more condiments than food.

LOL The door and one shelf is various condiments, pickle/preserved stuff and cured meats. I've never had a problem with olives losing quality in the fridge unless they were out of a brine or oil for too long. I like to keep a good rotation though and buy less but more frequently. Will have to try the bulk method perhaps.

You might want to change the brine periodically when leaving the olives out.