• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm not too keen on pork belly either, which is a bit inconvenient here as it is considered the prime cut here. Too much fat for me. It always amuses me in the supermarket when I see the grannies fight over the bits of pork that most westerners would shun. It is called 五花肉 (wǔ huā ròu) which means 'five flower meat' as the best is said to have five layers- meat, fat, meat, fat, skin.

wuhuarou.thumb.jpg.cb37789074b2b1a6a966496f62cc3b81.jpg

東坡肉 (dōng pō ròu), Dongpo Pork is a very popular dish from Zhejiang Province near Shanghai. It is basically cubes of pork belly braised in Shaoxing wine. The pork is about 90% fat. I don't go there.

dongpopork.thumb.jpg.60e7d4f8efd93f6ca965dae14e57aa7c.jpg

Dongpo Pork

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm not to keen on pork belly either, which is a bit inconvenient here as it is considered the prime cut. Too much fat for me. It always amuses me in the supermarket when I sat the grannies fight over the bits of pork that most westerners would shun. It is called 五花肉 (wǔ huā ròu) which means 'five flower meat' as the best is said to have five layers- meat, fat, meat, fat, skin.

wuhuarou.thumb.jpg.4712c8c458f460c1384874e974189495.jpg

東坡肉 (dōng pō ròu), Dongpo Pork is a very popular dish from Zhejiang Province near Shanghai. It is basically cubes of pork belly braised in Shaoxing wine. The pork is about 90% fat. I don't go there.

dongpopork.thumb.jpg.60e7d4f8efd93f6ca965dae14e57aa7c.jpg

Dongpo Pork

wuhuarou.jpg