• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Air Fryers

Keith_W

27 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Do you know for how long the discount applies?

Not sure - code is LABOUR20 - I had it in my basket for a couple of days and it was still there when I checked out. The discount is still showing on the top line of the website. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal

link did not work for me , but found this :

https://www.t-fal.ca/en/infrared-air-fryer.html

the ad seems to indicate this unit gets much hotter

'''   

Revolutionary Infrared technology heats up to 750°F /400°C in just 45 seconds* – no pre-heating needed!

'''

however :

'''' cook everything to perfection with temperatures from 450°F/230°C to 160°F/70°C.  ''

this would indicate it really doesn't get my hotter than a 400 F  ( my AF limit )

but might get hot much quicker .  i don pre heat , but this might shave off a couple of minutes .

and has a view-window.

in the past it was my impression that one avoided the video-window models 

but perhaps that has changed.  

very interested in an owners impression .

looking over the ref site :

20 % off  , free shipping come in at $ 136  and I think this site is Canadian.

The footnote about the 700F temperature says:

"Temperature is reached on the surface of the carbon fiber heater."

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The footnote about the 700F temperature says:

"Temperature is reached on the surface of the carbon fiber heater."

Is that bad?

27 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No.

I spoke to the Instant people this morning and in a nutshell, it's not fixable, out of warranty, and no special deals for replacing it.  So I'm going to give the TFal IR a serious look.  Which makes me wonder why the comment about the carbon fibre heater.  I know nothing about these things so can you explain your comment?  I'd appreciate it.

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I spoke to the Instant people this morning and in a nutshell, it's not fixable, out of warranty, and no special deals for replacing it.  So I'm going to give the TFal IR a serious look.  Which makes me wonder why the comment about the carbon fibre heater.  I know nothing about these things so can you explain your comment?  I'd appreciate it.

I posted the footnote because @rotuts had wondered about the discrepancy between 700F and the maximum stated cooking temperature of 450F.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2023 at 3:57 AM, Mjx said:

I just use the usual amount of whatever fat I have lying about, in the usual way (including rendered duck fat on potato wedges: superb!). I've thought about getting an oil sprayer/mister, but that would probably be most useful on paneéd food (because a paneéd surface would be easily broken up by rubbing/patting fat onto it), so I haven't got one, yet.

I adore my air fryer, but the name is so misleading (and the reason I rejected the idea of having one, for years): it's a highly-efficient, miniature, convection oven.

Did you ever get an oil sprayer for your air fryer?  I received an air fryer a few weeks ago, and I am evaluating an oil sprayer that I received to test.  I have to say I am a little worried about breathing an aerosol of oil.

Another question is which oil to use in a sprayer?  The particular sprayer I am playing with works well with water, but the fluid container is clear glass, thus exposing the oil to oxidation.  I'd like to keep the apparatus in the refrigerator, however most cooking oils are solid or close to solid by 0C. 

keep the sprayer in a cupboard 

use an oil that that doesn't ' coagulate ' very fast in the refrigerator 

ie is not long chain.

rice bran , if you can get that oil might be a good choice.

and

hold your breath as you spray ?

15 hours ago, rotuts said:

keep the sprayer in a cupboard 

use an oil that that doesn't ' coagulate ' very fast in the refrigerator 

ie is not long chain.

rice bran , if you can get that oil might be a good choice.

and

hold your breath as you spray ?

For the time being I've decided on grapeseed oil.  Last night I used the new contraption to spray my porkchop.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 3:42 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Did you ever get an oil sprayer for your air fryer?  I received an air fryer a few weeks ago, and I am evaluating an oil sprayer that I received to test.  I have to say I am a little worried about breathing an aerosol of oil.

Another question is which oil to use in a sprayer?  The particular sprayer I am playing with works well with water, but the fluid container is clear glass, thus exposing the oil to oxidation.  I'd like to keep the apparatus in the refrigerator, however most cooking oils are solid or close to solid by 0C. 

I never found an oil sprayer that met all my criteria, so I'm still looking. For now, I'm continuing to brush/flick oil onto the food with a pastry brush; when the surface is loose (e.g. breaded), I freeze the food, because otherwise it's a maddening mess.

I've used this, https://www.kunstogkokkentoj.dk/product/dragsbaek-sprayfedt?variant=051-001-00 (it's rapeseed oil, which used and cultivated extensively in Denmark and the surrounding region), and held the can as far from myself and as close to the food as possible without defeating the purpose of the spray, because I've also been unhappy about the idea of inhaling an aerosol of oil (I thought about using a face mask, too).

For most purposes I use grapeseed oil (it's the most affordable neutral-flavoured oil I can find on a regular basis), but I've no idea whether it would solidify in the refrigerator.

• Thanks 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org