• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Discussion of commercial chefs' use of eggs...

jburnie

Hi all,

This is a discussion for commercial chefs.

- I'm wondering who uses pasteurized eggs in their kitchens?

- Why are they used instead of shelled eggs and what are they used in?

- What is the general cost for one litre of pasteurized eggs and how do you think it compares to shelled eggs?

- How much pasteurized egg product do you generally use in a week?

Cheers,

Edited by Chris Hennes
Name removed at member's request (log)

You can buy pasteurized shell eggs.

I've worked places where we make a lot of macaron, so, we used cartons of whites. I do not recall the cost, but, we priced accordingly. And, we had no need for yolks. Maybe a half gallon a day, it varied.

I use pasteurized whole egg, yolk (with 10% sugar added) and whites.

Why?

Practicality

-Uses up less space than shell eggs, and no damage

-Product is frozen and can be stored up to 6 mths

-much less chance of salmonella than with shell eggs (this does not go un-noticed by "ye olde health inspector"

-No eggshells or yolk mixed in with whites

-No "overflow" bins of eggwhites in the fridge.

Cost is a bit cheaper than shell eggs

I should mention that all of my recipies are in weight and metric. It is very easy and quick to weigh out liquid eggs.

I use the eggs, yolk, and whites for everything--creams, sauces, doughs, custards, cakes, fillings, Italian nougat, everything.

I do know that some hotel chains (Hyatt comes to mind) do not have shell eggs in their kitchens, other than for breakfast cooking.

I keep a few quarts of pasteurized liquid yolks around (Papetti's, no sugar added as far as I know), which I mostly use for ice cream and creme brulee bases. When I used whole eggs for ice cream, I had far more whites left over than I could ever use in macaron, meringue, etc. Now if I need extra whites I can always separate some. The liquid yolks are a nice convenience and time-saver.