• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Power Outage Help!

GlorifiedRice

Hi my power was out from 12 midnight till 12 noon.

I kept the fridge and freezer doors CLOSED.

I had thermometers in BOTH, the freezer ICE is still frozen and the stuff is still hard.

The Fridge thermometer read 40 degrees, BUT I took the temp of a beverage and a A-1 steak sauce and it reads 43.

What is your opinion on what I should do?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

After 12 hours of being off, does it sometimes take time for the fridge to make noise?, Im sure Im worrying myself for nothing but I feel like my fridge isnt working now, even though

its now down to 35 degrees.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

43° isn't really a problem, yes, food should be stored under 40°. But, the time it spent above 40 was probably no more than a few hours (it wasn't at 43 for 12 hours, it got to 43 after 12 hours) and it's so close to 40, you're fine. Just be aware that some things like leftovers and raw meat may not last as long, I'd make plans to eat those fairly quickly.

After 12 hours of being off, does it sometimes take time for the fridge to make noise?, Im sure Im worrying myself for nothing but I feel like my fridge isnt working now, even though

its now down to 35 degrees.

Is the light in the freezer working? If not, did you check the breaker? In our power outages the breaker sometimes gets tripped and thus no compressor noise.