• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diplomat Cream

AnnieWilliams

I have a question regarding diplomat cream. I have been reading extensively and it looks like in some recipes gelatin is added while in others it isn't. Is there one method which is more preferred over the other? I would think that adding gelatin to an already thick pastry cream would make it kind of rubbery. Also, how far in advance can the cream be prepared before it starts to break down?

Thanks,

Annie

According to Bo Friberg, you can make it either with or without, depending on its intended use. You can omit the gelatin if you use it to fill pastry shells or profiteroles, but if you want it to hold its shape on its own, then you must add the gelatin.

I may be wrong, but I believe that if you just mix the pastry cream with whipped cream, that would be more accurately called a quick chiboust, and not diplomat.

Depending on the pastry cream itself, you may or may not need the gelatine to "hold" the whipped cream. Also, it depends on what you want to do with the Diplomat, if you need a firm or stiff diplomat for napoleon slices, or a loose one to fill into say, choux paste swans.

Thank you both for your replies. I understand a little better now.

So if I were to use a diplomat with just whipped cream to fill choux puffs, how long would those hold up in the fridge? I was wondering if using a recipe which included gelatin would help them hold up a bit longer. I need to split my process into a couple of days since I am so busy. I just didn't want it breaking down and separating. How long do the puffs last once filled? Can they make it a day or two in the fridge? I am making religieuses by the way.

Thanks again,

Annie