• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miroir recipe for mousse or roulade cakes?

AnnieWilliams

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a good base recipe for a miroir which could be used on cakes like roulades or molded mousses (in other words, something to cover the whole cake without sliding off). I recently purchased some molds and I'd like to use a miroir but since I'm just a home baker it's not very economical for me to buy buckets of the professional stuff.

Ideally I'd like something which could be flavored with fruit purees and/or colored.

Thanks!

Annie

There's a pectin glaze in Pierre Herme's La Patisserie that he used on most of the fruit-topped items in the book. I'd have to look it up if you're interested, I haven't had that book out in years, but I remember it being very shiny with the added benefit of being pretty tasty too. I honestly don't rememer if there was room to work fruit purees into it or not but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't with a little playing around.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thank you both for your replies. Tri2Cook, if you have that recipe I would appreciate it. Have you ever tried it on a cake? I would have thought PH used the commercial stuff with the volume of goodies he makes.

Thanks again!

Edited by AnnieWilliams (log)