• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candying & drying fruit recipe books?

I'm looking for some good books on candying and drying fruit (for later dipping in chocolate, but that's an aside). What books would you suggest? I've got a few recipes that I use, but want to expand my offerings.

Thanks.

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

I've pulled this information from a variety of obscure sources. I buy older books on fruit and preserving and pull the information from there. I don't have this one, but it seems that the Dover book on preserving has a good section.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I think doing a little research right here on eG will lead you to all the information you need - Andiesenji has posted many excellent fruit candying recipes and links to various recipes that she has posted elsewhere as well.

I think doing a little research right here on eG will lead you to all the information you need - Andiesenji has posted many excellent fruit candying recipes and links to various recipes that she has posted elsewhere as well.

Thanks Kerry, I've taken a note of quite a few of her recipes to try already. I'm looking for something to supplement the chocolate during the warmer months, hence the query. I tend to lurk more than write and have "borrowed" many of your and Andiesenji's ideas (and end up pining for random gadgets like the couscousiere I'd now love). I know this is off topic, but I rarely seem to remain on topic, so thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

It might be a bit hard to source, but Frutas y Postres by Eric Trueille is an excellent one (which I have on "loan" from the library - at least until I find my own copy). The other, which will be nearly impossible, is the huge, multiauthour Cocina del Ecuador which is published locally by a small firm. Its section on candying and preserving fruit is comprehensive and impressive (bet you didn't know you could sugar uvillas the same way you would plums?)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

There appear to be a couple of copies of the English version of the first book, "Fruit and Desserts" by Le Cordon Bleu on eBay right now. Also available used from Amazon UK.

Edited by Prabha (log)