• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need some ideas for a crayfish soup

Canned Tuna

I bought 2 pounds of cooked/frozen crayfish and finally decided to make a soup out of them. This is the first time I've used/eaten crayfish so I'm not sure how to finish my idea.

the thought was a sort of creamy/spicy soup with the crayfish meat piled in the center. But I don't think there's enough meat in the tails to remove like that.

I made the stock last night which includes: shrimp shells, about a dozen crayfish cut in half, then basic carrot, celery, onion and garlic. A thyme, a little tarragon, old bay and a couple bay leaves, good cup of white wine.

So basically, I have about 8 cups of that stock and 1.5 pounds of cooked crayfish.

I was thinking adding 1/2" dice potato, maybe a little saffron and a touch of cream, chive and cayenne to make the soup. Then serve the crayfish steamed on the side with toasted garlic baguette?

I'm open to other ideas too.