• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are all duck parts good parts?

et alors

Somehow I managed to buy a duck with feet and head at ranch 99 (ok, this will happen when you shop at Asian groceries). I'm wondering if I can use all of the head in a stick, or if there is anything that will give the stock and off or bitter taste. Better yet, anything special to do with them?

The rest is going into Thai Duck Noodle soup I learned in Koh Samui, the recipe I give here because I love egullet.

Klauy Tiao Phed

Ingredients

4 cup fresh duck cut bite-size pieces or chicken

2 cup white turnip cut bite size

10-15 black mushroom soak until it soft

5 panden leaves

1 tbsp. black peppercorn

¼ cup clove anise seeds

5 pieces cinnamon stick (about 2 inch)

2 tbsp. cardamom

1 tbsp. cumin seeds

5 coriander roots

5 cloves garlic crushed

2 cup soy bean oil (for deep duck)

6-10 boiled eggs

25-30 cup chicken stock

1 cup kale cut into bite-size

2 cup bean sprouts (or white cabbage finely sliced)

¼ cup spring onions chopped finely

¼ cup coriander leaves chopped finely

¼ cup celery leaves and steam chopped finely

½ cup palm sugar

¼ cup white cane sugar

2 tbsp. dark soy sauce

¼ cup white soy sauce (to taste)

2 tbsp. seasoning sauce

¼ cup cornstarch

Condiment

3 cup medium fresh rice noodles (if use dry noodle soak in warm water until soft about 30 minutes.)

2 cup kale cut into bite-size

3 cup bean sprouts

1 cup sweet basil

½ cup spring onions chopped finely

½ cup coriander chopped finely

½ cup celery chopped finely

Preparation

1. Boil well the chicken stock 25-30 cups in a large pot. Add the turnip, mushrooms, 5 pandan leaves. Boil about 1 minute.

2. Heat a dry wok. Add the coriander root, garlic, peppercorn, anise, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin; stir until it fragrant. Wrap the toasted spices well in a square of cheesecloth. Put in the stock boil it well.

3. Heat the oil in a wok. Add the duck; fry until browned and drain. Put in the boiling chicken stock.

4. And add the ½ cup palm sugar, ¼ cup white cane sugar, 2 tbsp. dark soy sauce, ¼ cup light soy sauce, 2 tbsp. seasoning sauce and boil eggs cover. Using low heat boil until the duck is very soft (about 1½ hours). And add ¼ cup cornstarch boil until the sauce is thickened.

5. Boil the water. Add the noodle, bean sprouts, kale or lettuce; boil 15 seconds. Drain and transfer to serving bowl. Pour the soup and duck, egg cut in half. Sprinkle with spring onion, coriander, celery, deep fried garlic and oil.

6. Serve very hot with chili vinegar sauce and Thai seasonings such as hot chili flakes, white sugar, and fish sauce.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit