• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping smoked fish

Wilfrid

Well, if it's smoked, it's preserved and therefore lasts forever. Or not.

How long is it wise to keep smoked fish in a refrigerator? I am thinking mainly of freshly cut smoked fish, such as salmon or sturgeon, rather than vaccum packed.

It is different for cold smoked and hot smoked fish?

Thanks.

Another smoking question. We smoked about 10 lbs of salmon last week and have more than eaten our fill. How does smoked fish freeze? Does it significantly affect the texture and does it affect the moisture content of the fish?

Rice pie is nice.

also, i'm interested in smoking a piece of salmon. i want the smokey flavor on the outside, but i don't want it to "cook" at all.  i want the raw texture.  any advice on how long, etc??

Cold smoke that puppy! basically it involves a seperate "chamber" for the smoke to lose its heat before it reaches the object to be smoked.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Nothing lasts forever :angry:

When I was using smoked salmon ends bought in bulk, I DID have some go bad, even though it was still vacuum-sealed, and kept around 34ºF. It kept fine frozen, though -- both chunks and slices.

According to the NYC Dept, of Health, smoked fish should be kept at or below 38ºF, a little cooler than other items.

Exposure to air is usually what will make foods dry out and deteriorate -- so keep it well-wrapped, wherever you store it. (Although a threat with smoked fish is botulism, which is anaerobic; but cold inhibits that.)

Frozen smoked salmon will lose some of its silky texture; but then you can use it in other ways than just plain on a canapé. Make a mousse, or toss some, chopped, with pasta -- you get the idea.

Thanks, Suzanne. So how long would you expect to keep it before it goes off? Not looking for a precise answer, but are we talking about two or three days, a week, two weeks.

I usually eat the stuff at once, is why I'm asking; I am just wondering whether I can lay in a heap of it to last over the holidays.

I usually eat the stuff at once, is why I'm asking; I am just wondering whether I can lay in a heap of it to last over the holidays.

I was off when I said we smoked our salmon last week. It was actually Sunday. I tasted some today for breakfast and it had no off flavor and around noon it went do it's demise: deep freeze. I would bet, properly sealed and kept COLD, it would suffice for the whole week.

edit: I don't know if I would trust it much more than that. Perhaps a personal bacterial resistance experiament is in order, eh?

Edited by Lyle (log)

Rice pie is nice.

wilfred,

sliced, smoked salmon will keep in your refrigerator up to a week in most cases - assuming good quality salmon of course. after that it won't be "bad" but it'll start to take on more fishy qualities.

if your knife skills are good and you want to try slicing your own at home as you need it, it'll last a bit longer. the slicing exposes a lot of surface area and shortens the shelf life.