• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar Cane Questions

Anna N

Kerry Beal and I were in an Asian grocery store yesterday where she spotted this:

Sugar cane.jpg

She grabbed a package for each of us. Now we would like to know:

What are the skinny threads to the right?

What is its shelf-life unopened?

Should it be refrigerated?

What would you use it for?

Many thanks. Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I buy it from the Mexican grocery on occasion to use in the smoker (along with hickory and pecan woods) when making tasso and andouille. It is supposedly traditional, and though I've never done a side by side comparison it does seem to add something.

As for using it for food, I've only heard of chewing on it as a snack or drink garnish. No doubt there are other things though.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I live in the centre of the world's biggest sugar cane plantations here in southern China. (Well, they tell me it's the biggest.)

What is in your picture seems to be 鱼腥草 (yúxīng cǎo) which literally translates as “fish smell grass” - aka lizard's tail, chameleon plant, heartleaf, or fishwort. This is also native to this region. It is usually served in a chili sauce as an appetizer. I have no idea why they would include it in a bunch of sugar cane.

800px-Lizards_tail.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have lived my entire life in Louisiana's sugar producing region. Refrigerated, fresh cane will last a week or so...it sours fairly quickly, but a sniff will tell you when it's going off/beginning to ferment. Sure you can chew it (and the spitting is part of the fun), but split lengthwise into batons, it can be used as a flavorful skewer for grilled meats or seafood. A typical Vietnamese dish, chao tom, involves seasoned shrimp paste formed around cane slivers...here's Andrea Nguyen's recipe.

Have also seen chunks of it boiled in water used to make lightly flavored/sweetened iced tea, as well as chunks in asian soups (though you need to tell unfamiliar diners not to eat it, but to chew & discard).

Thanks, HungryC, for the link to the recipe. It kept me out of the pool hall all morning and part of the afternoon! There is a definite "yuck" factor and it's a challenge to get the goop to hold fast to the sugar cane. They are quite tasty if a little on the sweet side. I will be serving the remainder to family tomorrow.

ready to steam.jpg

Ready to steam.

out of steamer.jpg

Out of the steamer.

Grilled.jpg

Grilled and ready to eat.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The other thing you can do is cut the canes in half, hollow them out somewhat (save the hollowings, obviously) and then fill the cavities with coconut-curry shrimp and peanuts, then bake or bbq-oven them until the shrimp is cooked. This is very, very yum.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)