• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Catalan style bread in NYC

I don't speak/read Spanish, but maybe the name of what you seek is buried somewhere on this page:

http://www.franciscotejero.com/recetas/indexrecetas.htm

Panecillos de Viena perhaps?

Edited by Joe Blowe (log)

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Thanks for the responses so far... Weinoo - I knew that Despana used a ciabatta for their bocadillos, but I haven't tried them yet and didn't realize that they were different than the standard ciabatta (which has a more dense, chewier crust). I actually had a very nice version at Boqueria recently which had a nice, crisp light crust, but I neglected to ask them for their source.

Thanks for the info Joe, but if I can source a well made RTE product, I'd rather use that rather than making my own at this point in time... but I'll definitely keep the info on hand in case I get more time and want to have some fun!

I just thought maybe the name and picture (click on the bread names) of what you're looking for might be on that page -- but let us know if you take up the fine hobby of baking Spanish bread :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.