• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thoughts on freezing extra ganache fillings

patti_h

Does anyone have an opinion on freezing extra ganache fillings? Would it be useable? I made the bananas foster ganache from last weekends conference, and even thought I halved the recipe it is still way more than I need. I did add some citric acid to stabilize it. I hate to waste it, but not sure if freezing a filling to use at a later date would work- looking for advice from you experts out there!!! Thank you in advance!

I think it's done routinely by a lot of chocolatiers. Freezing either as 'raw' ganache or the finished pieces which are then thawed by removing 24 hours to the fridge, then 24 hours at room temp before opening to prevent issues with condensation and sugar bloom.

I often refrigerate my sealed piping bags of leftover ganache, then give them a couple of minutes at power 10% in the microwave to bring them back to pipe-able consistency.

I've made some great fillings when I've had not quite enough flowing caramel and not quite enough mocca filling to fill a whole tray full and put a little of each in the molds!

Kerry I was SO hoping you would be on the forums!!! Excellent idea to freeze in the piping bag, I never would have thought of that. You are amazing!

I hope to have a shoe to post tonight. Spending my whole day playing in the kitchen with chocolate, trying to fight off my self doubts!

Freezing either as 'raw' ganache or the finished pieces which are then thawed by removing 24 hours to the fridge, then 24 hours at room temp before opening to prevent issues with condensation and sugar bloom.

I agree completely with Kerry on defrosting technique - I do it quite often for finished chocolates and it has no impact on shine or the ganache filling. The only thing I would add is I give the chocolates 24 hours in the fridge before they go in the freezer so there is no sudden change in temperature. Same procedure for defrosting/