• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Retrogradation question

Charcuterer

I am going to start a batch of potatoes to retrograde their starches this evening. The plan is 66C for 1/2 hour. Then I will shock them and keep them in the fridge until I'm ready. I think that's the normal method.

Has anyone tried to retrograde the startches in other root vegetables like parsnips or carrots? I was thinking of doing a root vegetable mash and wonder if that would help with the gloppiness that the parsnips and carrots bring. I don't know if it would work or if parsnips are just that way naturally.

Oh, by the way has anyone tried the trick where you put avocados in 100 degree water for a couple hours then refrigerate? It's supposed to change the structure of the enzymes that promote browning and they don't turn as quickly.

Jim

Oh, by the way has anyone tried the trick where you put avocados in 100 degree water for a couple hours then refrigerate? It's supposed to change the structure of the enzymes that promote browning and they don't turn as quickly.

Jim

Is this similar to JKAL's apple texture modifying process on Serious Eats? Because that requires much higher temps.

Or perhaps lower temps work, but necessitate longer times.