• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good durable cheese grater?

phaelon56

My use of grated cheese is typically reserved for the rare occasions when I make pasta with marinara or homemade pizza. I had been using a conventional flat sided grater but found it a pain to clean and somewhat wasteful as the holes were just a bit too small on one side and too large on the other. lechter's was in the process of closing and I picked an Oxo brand grater. It's the type with an internal stainless steel grating cylinder, an external hinged plastic capsule, and a large handle that one turns to move the grating surface against the cheese. It performed beautifully, giving me nice thin strands of cheese that melted perfectly and the unit was easy to clean.

After limited use over a two month period, the handle assembly started developing a crack. It soon cracked to the point of being unusable. Was this a fluke or is it typical of the Oxo brand or the type of device. Can any of you suggest a superior product that works like this?

It's not a crank type, but I've heard raves about the coarse Microplane grater. If you click on the Amazon link below they are on sale for $6.99

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

In addition to a microplane, I've got a Mouli rotary grater: all metal, a multi-hinged handle/cheese holder/tamper, and 3 different grating barrels (fine-ish, coarse-ish, and slicing). You put a barrel in place, swing the holder over it, place the chunk of cheese on top of the barrel, swing the "tamper" down to hold everything together, and turn the crank of the barrel to grate the cheese.

It's easy to assemble and use, relatively easy to clean, and works pretty well. The main drawback is that the last bits of the cheese chunk slip through without getting grated. And that you can only do about a 1 1/2" to 2" cube at a time. But it works for non-artisanal mozzarella and similar soft cheeses (especially if they've been briefly frozen). And it's quite inexpensive. I probably got mine at Broadway Panhandler or the late, much lamented Lechters.

I like the Mouli grater also, though it's been a long time since I got rid of mine for some reason I can't remember now. I also had a Mouli-type grater for herbs and it worked wonderfully well. (Note to self: spring for a new mouli)

For table-side grating we have a round grater that you turn like a pepper or salt mill. Works very well for parmesan and hard cheeses unless they're extremely hard or down to the rind (we like the reggiano till the last drop!) In a recipe that calls for a substantial quantity of grated cheese, however, the box grater does a better job, faster.