• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any experiences with the iGrill thermometer?

Shalmanese

I'm in need of a new probe thermometer and I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with the iGrill: http://www.igrillinc.com/ . It's a thermometer that's compatible with iPhones and iPads using bluetooth. It seems like a fun toy but at $99, I'm wondering how much extra utility it has over a generic $20 probe thermometer.

PS: I am a guy.

Bought the iGrill for all the men in my family for Christmas. Tried to hook up my dad's and he wasn't patient enough to figure it out, and I didn't care enough to try. Wish I could offer you a better review.

Best Buy had one on sale about the same time for half the price. Don't know what the difference is/was.

Was given the iGrill last Fall.

Works as advertised, sometimes the initial hookup is quirky to my iPhone. Can set with custom temps which I do but the best feature is a graphical display of temp versus time. Many times by the time your set temp is reached and you remove whatever from the heat you will get a temp overrun or better known as 'resting'. With the Graphical feature you can anticipate this overrun and remove your item before you reach the set point and then watch the 'resting' temp rise.

The iGrill is well made and of all the analog/digital probes and other electronic temp monitors I have or have had, it's clearly the best overall.

What is really required though is wireless between the probe and the iGrill unit as well as wireless to your smart phone.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)