• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick! I need ideas to turn these tortellini into an appetizer&#33

abadoozy

I had some leftover goose ragu in the freezer that had been a bit greasy as a sauce, so I used it as a filling for tortellini today. I was going to make some kind of soup or something else equally simple with them for dinner, but then we got a last-minute invite to a friend's for dinner, so I offered to bring them as an appetizer.

So now I gotta appetizer them!

I think they'd be fine just simply boiled with a grating of fresh Parmesan on top, as the filling is pretty big, but wouldn't mind doing something a bit fancier. Any quick/good ideas made with stuff I might have lying around? (I do tend to have a fair bit of stuff lying around, so don't be shy.)

Sauces? Broth? What would *you* do with them? I don't make 'em very often so I don't have a lot of ideas to draw on.

You could go in a totally different direction by deep frying them to give a crisp batter type texture. Serve a few per person (depending on size) accompanied by a sharp chutney (you just need something acidic to cut through the richness of the filling). Or perhaps a gremolata of garlic, parsley and grated lemon rind mixed with some yoghurt or creme fraiche to give a liquid medium to the sauce.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I love the idea of frying/deep frying them, but not sure I'll have the stove space, not to mention I'm way too much of a rookie at deep frying to try it at someone else's house.

I like the idea of the reduced broth. Hmm parsley too... think I have some in the fridge, and I think a bit of something green on top would be good.

I still have an hour before I have to decide, thanks to everyone for the ideas, and keep 'em coming!