• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dwg

Cooking with fresh Perigord Truffles

I have just bought 4oz of fresh Perigord Truffles and have a question about whether the truffles should be warmed to release their maximum flavour or simply shaved ontop of the dish. Two weeks ago I got ahold of a Burgundy Fall truffle and was struck by the fact that when we shaved it ontop of an omelet the flavour was not nearly as strong as when we made another omelet and rolled the shaved truffles inside.

With the Perigord Truffles I plan to use them to make truffled mashed potatoes. I had planned on shaving them over the individual servings at the table but now I am wondering if it would be better to fold them into the potatoes before serving them.

All truffles have less flavor if they are actually cold, so if you are shaving them you should be sure they are at room temperature.

Perigord truffles (tuber melanosporum) can stand up to cooking but the taste changes. Before about 25 years ago it was unheard of for anyone in France to shave black truffles over a dish; everything was cooked in some way. Then some truffle merchants, like the Pebeyres in Cahors, started using Italian truffle shavers and showing the device to their customers. Now it's common.

Some of the best truffle dishes involve a combination of cooked truffles and bits that are just warmed slightly by the heart of the dish. Burgundy truffles, like white truffles, are known for losing their aroma completely when cooked, so your omelette must have gotten them to just the right temperature.

For mashed potatoes, both methods you describe should work, and a combination might be the best.

Good luck! Having four ounces of Perigord truffles puts you in a very nice position!

Edited by inductioncook (log)

Thanks for the very useful information.

I think that I will plan to use the combination of some slivered truffles folded into the mashed potatoes and then room temperature truffles shave on top at the table.

We will see how it works out tonight.

Good luck. Patricia Wells has just come out with a very nice book on cooking with truffles and I see that is the sort of procedure she uses as well, having learned it from Joel Robuchon, who wrote her foreward.

• Similar Content

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

• By K8CanCook
      Update!! --- the sale is still going on at Amazon as of Sunday (11/24) at 11:15am EST
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone note the sale price on Modernist Cuisine today (maybe yesterday)? Amazon and Target dropped the set of tomes to $379!!!

This price looks like it will change after today...so get it ASAP!!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0982761007?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=SRFCHFB5EFTGAA8AZHJX
      -or-
      https://www.target.com/p/modernist-cuisine-by-nathan-myhrvold-chris-young-maxime-bilet-hardcover/-/A-77279948
    • By Bollo
      I need a book on the application of rotavapor machine. I've searched something on web but i can't find something strictly professional for the kitchen please help me. To improve the research. 
    • By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By Shelby
      Thanks to @blue_dolphin, I was forced to buy this cookbook  and it was delivered today.  No matter how hard I try, I just don't super enjoy cookbooks on my Kindle.  Anyway, I'll most likely be alone on this thread due to low okra likability lol, but I'm an only child and I'm used to being alone 😁

First on the list will be the Kimchi Okra from page 100--as suggested by @blue_dolphin.

I'll be back on this thread soon