• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fava (aka Broad) Beans

jamesglu

I have the good fortune to have a large plot of land behind our house where we plant a pretty broad range of vegetables. One of the vegetables that we have in profusion is fava (aka broad) beans, which is something I have never really done all that much with in the past. My question boils down to this: I understand that when you have a young fava bean pod you don't need to double-peel the beans inside (that is, you just remove them from the pods and then they're good to go). But how do you know whether your bean is truly up to that sort of preparation, and what is the downside of getting it wrong? Are the bean wrappers indigestible, or is it just that they're a pain to deal with? And what is a good way to save the bumper crop of beans that I seem to be producing?

• 3 weeks later...

the younger the bean (i.e., if it's early in the season), the less cooking they will need.

I love them in a ragout, with tomato, lemon juice and lashings of the most excellent olive oil you can possibly imagine.

also, do not forget the leaves. you don't hear very much about fava leaves, but I do assure you they are worth the extra effort to obtain and cook. delicate and vegetal, like the spring version of tender spinach.