• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Living in a new city question

agaronthefloor

Good afternoon all,

So I have lived in North Carolina my whole life, worked at really good restaurants/hotels and decided to take a month in a half off to travel a bit and visit friends and family. So I traveled a good portion of the us. The best place I visited was Seattle Washington and plus I have a friend who lives here as well. So I decided to move out of NC and move to Seattle. Since I had work at the best hotel in NC for five years, I thought it would be pretty easy to find a job anywhere. Now living in Seattle for the past two weeks and sending out around twenty resumes, I have had only two call backs.

Now my real question here is, since ppl here might not know of any restaurants/hotels in NC they aren't willing to call you or do these ppl only want to hire ppl that have worked in the restaurants/hotels here in Washington. Seems like im going to have to take a job i don't want, to get a job that i do want down the road....wtf

thanks to anyone who replies to this topic.

c.m.

I think it is a little harder to break into a new town, but I don't think Seattle chefs particularly discriminate. If you can get in to stage or work a trail shift, they will judge you on your performance then. It might help to give a little description of the places you've worked on your resume, rather than just your station. Cuisine, seats, average covers, awards, etc. Good luck!