• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celery: can't stand the ribs but what about the dried leaves?

rotuts

I cant stand celery ribs.

but Id like to add celery flavor to soups, etc etc.

I would not mind a rib or two in the stock/soup etc if i could then remove it but id have to buy a Whole Bunch and dump the rest.

dried celery leaves are available from good supplier:

like Penzeys.

would that add celery flavor to these stock/soups? I wouldnt mind that left in

its just those ribs that drive me crazy with

:blink: mushyness.

I find that the fresh stalks, dried leaves, and dried seeds each have a different flavor.

What I would do is buy a whole fresh celery and make a lot of stock from it, strain, then freeze the stock as both ice cubes and cup sized blocks. This way, you'll have flavor and nothing to strain out later.

Dry celery leaf is a good flavoring for various dishes, it's just different. You might want to experiment with small batches of food and various amounts of dried herb.

Good Luck!

I add celery rib near the end of cooking to avoid the mushiness.

I'm a big fan of celery flavor.

Celery leaf flavor is fleeting, IMHO

Have you considered lovage? It has a bold flavor, to me it tastes like celery and walnuts...I can't help thinking of Waldorf salad when I sample it straight up. LOL

It's extremely easy to grow. I use it a lot.

:smile:

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!