• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preparing Caul Fat

sheepish

I've been given a hunk of caul fat. From a cow. Everything I read mentions pig's and sheep's caul. This looks a bit like particularly heavy flair fat (from a pig). I've soaked it in warm water and it does look a bit more caul like, but there's still a lot of heavy fat stuck to it. Not really the lacy sheets of loveliness I've seen pictures of. Is there a trick to getting it into thin sheets? Or is cow caul no good?

While we're at it, caul fat, the "thin layer covering the internal organs" (cf, for example, Wikipedia)... does this mean covering all the organs, like a bunch of organs in a sack, in other words the equivalent what's called the peritoneum, or does it surround individual organs ? Lots on the web about using it, but I don't see much detail about where it comes from.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

While we're at it, caul fat, the "thin layer covering the internal organs" (cf, for example, Wikipedia)... does this mean covering all the organs, like a bunch of organs in a sack, in other words the equivalent what's called the peritoneum, or does it surround individual organs ? Lots on the web about using it, but I don't see much detail about where it comes from.

The best caul fat is the diaphragm of a hog. The picture in the link above is of a round piece with some missing lace in the center. As you would imagine, the diaphram is round and attaches to the inside skirt (steak) at it's perimeter. The hanging tender (hanger steak) drapes across the middle from the ribs above, accounting for the missing lace.

A few years ago, federal meat inspectors eliminated distribution of caul fat (No longer available from Niman Ranch or Lobels) and many markets began selling fairly thin slices of lard as "caul" fat. This is not really caul fat and is not a real substitute.

You should seek a state inspected meat processing plant in your area. They should be happy to provide you with caul fat at a reasonable cost.

Good luck,

Tim

A few years ago, federal meat inspectors eliminated distribution of caul fat (No longer available from Niman Ranch or Lobels) and many markets began selling fairly thin slices of lard as "caul" fat. This is not really caul fat and is not a real substitute.

Why? Any idea?

Hi,

The change in Regulatory action on caul fat was an outgrowth of Mad Cow Disease.

Tim

That's pretty bizarre, since it's something of a stretcher to make a connection between BSE and caul fat, which is more isolated from the central nervous system than many cuts of beef... but I'm guess they were counting on the public not knowing much about that.

Still, since sheepish is in the UK, the FDA's decisions shouldn't have much of an effect on the purchase of caul fat where he lives..?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Still, since sheepish is in the UK, the FDA's decisions shouldn't have much of an effect on the purchase of caul fat where he lives..?

Although I thought we invented BSE hysteria over here :-) Still can't get cow heads, and spine (although no loss on the spine), but everything else is fair game as far as I know. A good long soak in wark water did reveal a flexi skin that looks very caul like, but attached to flair like fat. But I've also been rushing round turning 3 pigs into bacon, chorizo and cotechino this week so the caul plans have stalled. 2/3rds has gone into the freezer and I'll try getting some of the caul like stuff I've refridgerated cut off and used next week, I think a warmer soak may be necessary.