• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Differences between Demerara, Turbinado, and Evaporated Cane Juice

Hassouni

Just as the thread title says - is there a difference between Demerara and turbinado sugars, and how are they different (in terms of production) than what's sold as "evaporated cane juice" - which always seems to be a lighter product?

Here's my understanding: Demerara and Turbinado have both been processed a second, and in the case of Demerara, third time after simple evaporation, which results in a higher concentration of molasses solids in the final product. Simple evaporated cane is almost always pale (with the exception of drought-cropped black cane, which is a class of its own) simply because it hasn't been concentrated in the refining process.

Hence, the flavours of the three sugars will be greatly different. Simple evaporado has less complexity than Turbinado, and less again than Demerara. However, the queen of the dark sugars is undoubtedly Panela, which is subject to a different process and is infinitely richer in flavour.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

However, the queen of the dark sugars is undoubtedly Panela, which is subject to a different process and is infinitely richer in flavour.

I know little about the various sugars really, but the first time I tasted Panela just last year, I thought there would never be another sugar in the world for me. I was stunned by the complexity of the taste. :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I got my panela while in Colombia... - South America. You are right... it is very good. Mexicans have something very similar but I forget what it is called.

I thought demerara and turbinado were the same. Shows how much I know! I get the Demerara in 50lb bags from my local bakery supply. It comes from Africa. it is fairly dark...