• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg yolk artichoke sauce

lame username

When I was 5 or 6 years old in the mid-60's, the parents of neighborhood friends introduced me to steamed artichokes. They made a dipping sauce of (per person): one raw egg yolk, one capful (1 tsp.?) of cider vinegar, and S & P stirred to blend. The salt & vinegar seem to "cook" the yolks over the time required to eat an artichoke to the perfect consistency for each stage. Rather thin for the small first leaves, a bit thicker to cling to the meatier, larger leaves; and near paste-like so you can get every last bit out of the container with chunks of the heart. I've eaten artichokes this way ever since (get thee behind me, Salmonella!), but I've never heard of this sauce anywhere else. Has anyone ever seen it before?

Edited by lame username (log)

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

I must confess; the thickening of the sauce over time may be due to my habit of salting in layers as I eat. However, after posting, I had such a craving for this sauce I made it for steamed green beans last night :wub: Quite satisfying!

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

Acid working on the proteins in the egg-yolk will cause it to thicken over time.

You can see similar with berry juice in unwhipped cream - smash a few berries (esp raspberries) and watch it go.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.