• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stovetop ovens

_john

Does anyone own a stovetop oven? What kind do you have and when do you use it? Does it have a window/thermometer?

I am interested in getting one to replace my broken small stand-alone electric oven.

Years ago I used a Coleman Camp Oven which rests on the stove top. It has a temperature gauge on the front door.

It works, and for camping it folds flat for storage, but I would probably replace the stand-alone before I would use it as a primary oven.

It is different than a dutch oven. It is basically a metal box with a door that you place on the stove's burner. They seem to be used more for camping in the U.S. They were quite common in Japan before combination microwave/ovens became popular.

John, I use a Rinnai table top gas oven here in Japan. A friend of mine gave it to me before she left Japan. The oven is probably 20 years old, but it works. I have a feeling you might be able to find a used one somewhere. The new version is over 100 000 yens, but it might be worth it if you bake a lot.

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com