• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low-smoke cooking tricks

Fat Guy

I have a fan in the window. It helps a bit.

Upgrading the exhaust system is an impossibility. I already have what's supposed to be the best ductless hood, which does very little, and ducting a hood to the outside isn't possible. I could do the part of it in my own unit, which we own, but it's not possible for us to break exterior walls or run ductwork up through two other people's apartments to the roof.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I know you've said there's no outside access -- but I have to ask. Not even roof access?

I thought the apartment roof was a given perk for living in NYC?

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Most people in the city have no roof access. We have no private roof access. There is a common roof deck under construction on which cooking is not allowed.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

could you run a duct inside to the window and out there? And what's a roof deck if you can't bbq up there? Talk them into at least a gas grill :-)

If people can roast in the sun up there, why not a steak on a bit of safe gas fire? 'course, I don't know all the codes and what not laws in NY...

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog