• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Po'Boys

David Ross

What could be easier for a home cook? A breadroll, some lettuce, some dressing, some meat, poultry or seafood. The only real work, which is just a few steps, is frying the inside fixins of a Po'Boy sandwich and making the dressing. While I don't live in the South, I've acquired an incredible taste for the Po'Boy sandwich, and luckily for me, I live in the Pacific Northwest where my favorite Po'Boy ingredients, oysters, are readily available fresh year-round.

Today, my favorite, the "Oyster Po'Boy" with homemade tartar sauce, (mayonnaise, dill pickle relish, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning and cayenne).

002.JPG

003 (2).JPG

While the Oyster Po'Boy is my favorite, I also like soft-shell crab Po'Boys, and I'm toying with the idea of a chicken liver or duck gizzard Po'Boy. What's your favorit Po'Boy to make at home?

Im a sloppy roast beef and gravy Po-boy guy myself. The more napkins it takes to eat it, the better.

As a native New Orleanian who now lives elsewhere I have to disagree that the hardest part is frying/cooking up the fixins. The hardest part is finding good bread!

Edited by Twyst (log)

Im a sloppy roast beef and gravy Po-boy guy myself. The more napkins it takes to eat it, the better.

As a native New Orleanian who now lives elsewhere I have to disagree that the hardest part is frying/cooking up the fixins. The hardest part is finding good bread!

You know, I'll have to agree with you on that one. I got lucky today, found those beautiful rolls in a supermarket--hard on the outside with a pillowy soft inside, yet it withstood all the oysters juices without falling apart. A very good roll is a hard thing to find.