• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charbroil\Charcoal Seasoning rubs

BadRabbit

I have been wanting to make my own charbroil style seasoning rub for steaks and pork chops but I don't have any idea what all is in it.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, it is a nearly black spice rub that (at least in the south) is common as an optional addition on steaks at quality butcher shops. Most of my local shops have some version of it and there is a retail version called Southern Flavor that is sold in most grocery stores.

http://www.southernflavor.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=47

Anybody got any idea what all is in it? The bottles of the stuff aren't very specific as to what spices make it up.

There are a million and one seasonings and rubs on the market. A good palate and a Penzy's and some trial and error can usually duplicate any of them.

I purchase Dale's liquid seasoning for steak but I could easily reproduce its flavor, its just mush easier to purchase and keep in the fridge.

I usually make all my own spice blends and rubs except for any blends that Penzy's sells.-Dick

All of these rubs taste very similar. It's not like BBQ rubs where each one is pretty distinct.

I usually have an exceptional palate and can recreate just about anything I eat at a restaurant. However, there is something in these rubs that I can't put my finger on. It's also a weird color (it's almost completely black and grey). Other than black pepper, I'm just not sure what else would give it that shade (and it's obviously not purely black pepper).

Edited by BadRabbit (log)