• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me with baking mold terminology

runwestierun

I want to buy a cake mold that is like a bundt cake mold with one difference. Rather than having the center open, like a ring mold, I just want a depression because I want to fill the center with a relatively runny custard and I don't want it all to escape out of the bottom. Is there a mold like this?

I don't want a Maryann pan because I want the cake to look more like a bundt than a tart. I want more cake visible on the top and the Maryann is usually mostly fruit on top.

It would make 2 following the box recipe and directions thoat come with the pan, but that giant cupcake silicone pan comes with an insert that makes a depression in the center (bottom) pan, but as I said, you'd have enough batter to make smaller cakes. Go to the as seen on tv sec. Of any Walgreens...they're cheap.

Could you reserve some of the bundt cake batter and use it in an upside down bundt cake pan to bake a core/plug for the center (with any opening closed with foil of course)? or just bake extra in a muffin tin?

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

The only thing that comes to mind is the rose or sunflower pan from Nordicware; but the sides are the petals so it won't look like a traditional bundt pan.

Thanks, JeanneCake, that sunflower pan is almost exactly what I was looking for. I would like a little more of a depression just so it would hold more custard, but I can just cut out a little of the center of the cake. Thank you so much.

THanks, highcake, I have a Walgreens within a reasonable distance, I will check out that pan.