• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Split shift cooking problem

Doodad

I finally have a job after a lengthy unemployment. That is great, but as the noob I get the bad shift of 1130-8pm. My wife works early morning to afternoon. Bad enough on our sleep patterns and actually seeing each other, but we are just not eating well anymore.

I need some ideas for starting meals that can be finished later and still be varied enough to hold interest and go to work as leftovers. I have been using the crockpot to good effect, but my wife is not an avid cook and needs ease of use in the evening. Easiest are stews and braises of course (did corned beef yesterday), but hot weather is here and it is just too heavy most of the time. So before we break out the deli meats for every meal, help a guy out.

If it's summer I'd be making a simple salad--doesn't take that long to throw some stuff, whether it's an assortment of raw veg or cooked potatoes or whatever--and put the dressing, if you make one, in a little jar. Have some chicken breasts, steaks or fish fillets and cook them in a pan. A few minutes' work for a light meal. Serve them with the salad.

Sometimes when my partner's home late for whatever reason I'll do pretty much the same thing--just cook her steak for her when she returns home and dress the salad.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Yay employment! :)

As a side dish roasted asparagus keeps well for a few days.

Roll 2-3 lb of them around in olive oil, salt and pepper to coat on a cookie sheet.

Roast about 15-20 min until tender at 425 degrees.

Stick them in the fridge and you could reheat as needed or chop and throw in a salad.

My ex worked crazy hours and it is really hard on your body and relationship. Good luck! Make sure you try to eat when you're on the job. You might not feel hungry, but try to get yourself on a good eating schedule.

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Not fancy, but really easy for you to make and can generate elements for a bunch of meals spaced over however much time to not get repetitive; meatballs can make all sorts of things like meatball subs, soups with meatballs, spaghetti with meatballs. The end uses are pretty diverse and the meatballs can be frozen uncooked or cooked.