• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt Pork question

Emily_R

Hi all --

I made my own salt pork, using the recipe from Ruhlman's Charcuterie. Now it is sitting in the fridge in a little container, and it is kind of weeping liquid -- it is sitting in a little pool of its own exuded juices. Is this normal? i've never bought salt pork in the store before (this was something I did with the trimmings from my pork belly that was made into pancetta), so I have no idea what it is supposed to look/taste/behave like...

Thanks!

Emily

If it's in the curing stage then it's normal for it to release a little liquid and create a bit of a brine. Bacon does the same thing during a dry cure. All is well.

If it's not curing then I'd say that's not normal.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

depending on how long you've had it sitting in the fridge, I'd either toss it or cook with it soon (or freeze it). The extra salt is probably drawing liquid out, was it kind of hard when you stopped the cure? My guess would be it's fine, if you eat it soon or freeze it. If it gets slimy or smells funny, toss it.

Also if the liquid looks icky cloudy and or slimy.

If in doubt, toss, but IMO you should be fine to use it soon, I guess you just made it recently? As long as you're still within a reasonable fridge storage window for meat (meaning, you would still cook it if it were in the fridge for that long raw) I'd not be concerned too much.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

It's normal for salt pork to exude some liquid while it sits in the fridge. Slice it into pieces and rinse well in cold water when you are ready to cook it.

However, it keeps better if it doesn't sit in the exuded liquid.

I have two or three of these also one like this larger blue one

I put it inside a zip type plastic bag, place the salt pork on it and seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible.

I use them for a couple of other things that tend to weep during storage and which I want to keep out of the exudate.

I wash them in the dishwasher, top shelf.

The large blue one is also handy for a couple of other tricks.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I use it, after a bit of "parboiling" in the microwave, in dishes with beans (baked especially), beans and beans (dried beans and green beans) combined with rice or pasta.

I use it in greens, usually rendering it a bit first.

I chop it in very small dice and use it in any recipe that calls for pancetta because it is a lot easier to find.

I also chop it fine and use it with ground beef and/or ground turkey in meat loaf to add both flavor and moisture.

I slice it and use it for barding on game and on meat roasts that don't have a lot of internal fat - on turkey.

(Yesterday America's Test Kitchen roasted a turkey exactly this way.)

I use a larding needle to insert it into those denser roasts, venison, bison, elk, beef round, etc.

You push the hollow needle into the salt pork, rotate it if it doesn't go all the way through, to separate the piece, withdraw it, stick it into the meat your are larding and push the thumb piece on the side as you withdraw the needle.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...