• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hand Crank Pasta Machines 2011

BadRabbit

I'm buying a hand crank pasta machine and wanted to know what people thought of the different available brands.

I've really been mostly looking at the Imperia that they sell at W-S but wanted to know if there were others I should look at.

What kind do you have and what are the pros\cons?

I have a Marcato Atlas. Bought it on a recommendation from the Frankies Spuntino cookbook. It's been working well for me and wasn't too expensive either. Seems to be different kinds of attachments that come packaged with it. It helps to have a second person to hold the dough or grab the pasta out so it doesn't stick together.

Pot smoking I don't mind, kids get the munchies hot wing sales go right through the roof but when those kids get on god knows what they eat like little birds.

I have borrowed the Imperia from a friend (actually to make crackers, not pasta) and though I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, it seems like a good recommendation. She is married to an Italian and lived in Italy for several years.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

I also have a Marcato Atlas. I bought it because it had good reviews, a friend loves hers and they make a motor attachment. I figured just in case I could upgrade and not have to buy a whole new machine. I haven't had any issues with the Marcato, it makes a great product and is easy to use and clean. As Hank Kingsley said, it is helpful to have two people with the hand crank, but this is a universal of all pasta sheeters of this style.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

I have the Atlas Marcato 180 - I wanted a wider sheet of dough. So chose it over the 150. It works just as well as my old Atlas that got lots of use over twenty-some years and still works, it's just too narrow for my use.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Mine is a Trattorina. It's extra-wide, so you can get sheets almost 8 inches wide. I love it--it's very well made, rolls very smoothly. I bought it 12 yrs ago from a local guy who produces/sells fresh pasta in his retail store. This machine is what he uses at home. Mine gets heavy use and 12 yrs later is still good as new.