• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confetti (colored round sprinkles)

CanadianBakin'

I make and sell marshmallows and pride myself in using pretty natural ingredients. For Easter one of the flavours I'm making is vanilla dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with pastel confetti. I called my supplier to get the ingredient list for confetti to put on the label and I'm in shock.

Here's the list:

sugar, rice flour, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, cotton seed and/or soybean, cornstarch, gum arabic, cellulose gum, confectioner's glaze, carrogean, soy lecithin, colours, flavours.

One of my customers looked at the list and was also a bit shocked. This doesn't appear very 'natural'. I usually have a very short ingredient list and this doesn't look good. There's only about 20 confetti on each piece but I'm pretty sure I still have to list them.

Are there any options that have a smaller ingredient list and look less scary to the consumer?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

There is a brand called Let's Do Sprinkles that makes such things with a more reassuring ingredient list:

Ingredients: Organic evaporated cane juice, organic corn malt syrup, water, natural colors. Natural colors are extracts of seeds, vegetables and/or fruits.

The one place I found them is a site for gluten free/celiac diets - http://www.food4celiacs.com/ShopOnline/LD/160.html . It appears that the confetti sprinkles are out of stock, but they do have rainbow sprinkles and, heaven help us all, chocolatey sprinklez.

Patty

If you aren't able to get them in before Easter, you could also try using white chocolate vermicelli (aka sprinkles or jimmies but these are made from white chocolate) and put some in a small, clean, plastic deli container with a lid and a few drops of candy color and shake it until the color is well distributed. This works with coconut (use the macaroon or dessicated) and large grain sugar as well using regular food color liquid or gel....

More work, but you could do something with Royal icing. Make little circles. Or make squiggles on the marshmallows.

What's in those colored sugars? And dusting stuff? Probably don't want to know...

Well, the colored sugar doesn't sound any better than the sprinkles and although I now have Aztec Gold luster dust all over my hands...the lid fell off...I still have no idea of what's in it.

My hands make me think of the woman in Goldfinger? Do I have the correct movie?

Sorry, not much help. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You could make pastillage and break it up into little pieces, and use those...it can be tinted with food coloring.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Thanks for the ideas! I think the Sprinklez will be the best option at the moment and I have my local healt store looking into them. As well I contacted the supplier to see how costly it is to have them shipped from the US.

I could be wrong but making tiny confetti out of pastillage sounds very time consuming. I'll keep it mind for larger decor though.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden