• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate course at CIA

rae

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has taken the Chocolate and Confections professional level continuing ed course at the CIA (or had heard anything about it)? I have been looking around but have not seen any reviews. I have been making chocolates (molded and dipped) for a couple of years now but have never had any formal training (I do have formal training as a chemist, which seems to transfer well), and I have finally decided it is time to pursue chocolate making more seriously. I have been looking into a range of courses (Ecole Chocolat's online course, 3-day classes at the FPS) and I keep changing my mind on where to go. Peter Greweling's Chocolate and Confections book is one of my favorite books in terms of its detail of instruction, which is why I thought the CIA class might be a good option. If anyone has any info on that course (or wants to recommend others), I'd appreciate it. What I'm specifically looking for is formal instruction on tempering, molding, and enrobing, and the opportunity to see professional level equipment.

Thanks,

Rae

Rae - not answering your question as I have no information about that course - but would you like to attend our DIY eG Chocolate and Confectionery Conference in May - link here.

Kerry - I did notice the conference. It's on my radar, but that weekend is a bit hard for me (husband's birthday).

All - If no one has any experience with the chocolate course at the CIA, can anyone speak to any good or bad experiences with any of the CIA's professional level continuing ed classes?

Thanks,

Rae

Kerry - I did notice the conference. It's on my radar, but that weekend is a bit hard for me (husband's birthday).

All - If no one has any experience with the chocolate course at the CIA, can anyone speak to any good or bad experiences with any of the CIA's professional level continuing ed classes?

Thanks,

Rae

Bring him along - we'll ply him with icewine and show him a good time!

I took the 4 (4.5?) day artisan chocolates and confections continuing ed course at CIA several years ago. My section was taught by Chef Greweling and was a very interesting, and intensive week. This was a number of months before his first book was published and pretty much everything we made was from that set of formulas.

The format of the class was an hour or so in lecture on a particular topic, time in the lab making products, break for a meal (dinner in my case), and then back to the lab to finish our days production.

I can heartily recommend taking the course. I had messed around with making my own chocolates for about 2 years prior to taking this class. It corrected some things I was doing poorly, taught me new skills, and frankly, it was the little bits of technique that you just can't get from a book that I believe were most valuable.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"