• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rival Crock Pot Question

SpaghettiWestern

I'm afraid that I won't be all that much help with this but I will mention my vague observations on the subject in chance that it might be useful. Hopefully someone else will have more specific answer to this question.

Not all that many years ago, I went through my Rival-Crock-Pot-Collecting-Faze. I was only interested in the older models and picked them up at thrift stores, etc. when I saw them in great condition. At one time, I am sure that I had at least 5-6 of various ages, sizes, the early orange or gold or olive style, the later pastel colors in country chic design, one sophisticated version with ebony black crock. I also had crocks set aside for my young adult daughters should they want them.

One afternoon, my husband came home to a kitchen lined with steaming Crock Pots, instant read thermometers, and pad and pencil for charting the temps on both low and high setting of each pot. (

So here is the vague part. My temp readings discarded long ago, I do recall that the really old crocks, ie 1970's orange or olive, were the lowest temperatures on both settings. Then there were the so called next generation, probably from the last half of the 1980's or so, on into the 90's and as I recall, they all ran rather hotter than the earliest models, but definately not as hot as the current models in stores today.

So I would doubt that there has been one, single date when the temp on Rivals was increased. My vague feeling is that it has been a process through the years, and as they are made now, my experience is that they simmer on both low and high settings. I can't really see much difference between the 2 settings.

Thank you Kay. That was fascinating. The stuff we don't know... I wondered about my own crockpots, whether they all kept the same temperature or not. Never got as far as doing the line-up thing.

I don't collect Rival crockpots, but I do have three old ones: two little ones with no temperature settings at all,one is a Fiesta Crock-ette version with a frieze of decorative peppers, the other is a Crock-ette with a frieze of blue leaves. The bigger one has low and high settings, is a Crock-Pot decorated in lined squares with flower motifs. (My huge crockpot is a newer Franklin Chef with more settings.)

I think I'll do the temperature thingy this week. thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.