• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Bargains in Booze

Fat Guy

I'll echo the recommendations for both the Jim Beam and Old Overholt rye whiskies.

As for others, well, I'm not much of a cocktailer except for my summertime mint juleps...in which quality really does make a difference. So I generally don't look for mixer bargains. I don't mind finding a good casual quaff at a fair price, though.

It's not available in my local shops but I recently sampled the Ezra Brooks at my favorite bourbon bar and found it quite pleasant. At a similar price point, I'm also fond of Bufallo Trace, Eagle Rare, Bulleit on occasion, and when I find myself in an establishment where the bartender thinks Jack Daniels is a bourbon, I'll gladly take a Maker's Mark, if available.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Wondrich mentioned the Paul Masson VSOP in an Esquire column on cheap spirits a year or two ago.

I use it in Embury's Brandy Punch all the time. I can get it here in CA for $11-12. Too bad I haven't seen it in a 1.75L - that'd make some really good, really cheap punch.