• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Stews Around the World

Jaymes

Would a beef rendang count as a stew? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendang

One of my favourite dishes to seek out when I'm over that side of the globe.

Thanks for that link. Very interesting reading. Sounds like it begins as a stew and then, as the liquid reduces, you wind up frying it. That's really similar to Mexico's carnitas.

I've ordered it in restaurants, but wasn't familiar with the cooking ingredients/methods. It looks like something that would be fun to try to make.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I am a big fan of beef stews from many latitudes.. although the common French & English styles are my least favorite the combination of wine, spices & herbs tends to be cloying.

I dig Pho (particularly Oxtail), Filipino Sinigang, Cuban Oxtail, Ethiopian, Scottish Beef & Barley... and of course the endless varieties of Mexican beef stews... does any country have a greater variety of beef stews? Mex beef stew intro... there are basically 5 major groupings:

Soupier

Caldo de Res / Puchero / Cocido (Not thickened with Chiles, Nuts etc., . stew flesh... oxtails, briskets, neck bones etc.,)

Menudo / Mondongo (Organ meats broth may contain dried chile pastes )

Mole de Olla (Dried Chile based broths..)

Thicker

Almendrado / Estofado / Pipian (Nut / Seed thickened Stews)

Guisados (Tomato, Tomatillo, Chile & Vegetable Thickened Stews)

Edited by EatNopales (log)

Would a beef rendang count as a stew? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendang

One of my favourite dishes to seek out when I'm over that side of the globe.

Thanks for that link... It looks like something that would be fun to try to make.

Beef rendang was probably the most popular dish on EGullet's Cradle of Flavor thread. The intro blurb and recipe from James Oseland's cookbook are here:

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/main_beefrendang.shtml

Sounds delicious... Inverted Braising... now I know the proper term.

My parents are from the Highlands of Jalisco where the Inverted Braising technique is used on Chicken & Beef... instead of coconut milk the meat is braised in Escabeche liquor (the pickling juices flavored with Jalapeno, Onion, Garlic, Clove, Mex Oregano, Allspice, Cumin, Thyme, Marjoram, Olive Oil and of course Pineapple Vinegar)... after the juice is absorbed and the meat browns... parboiled new potatoes & onion are added to pan.. after they brown they are plated with Orejona lettuce (a cross between romaine & butter lettuce), pickled carrots, green beans & mex zucchini, a bowl of cultured crema & tortillas.