• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

History of Corn as Food

Eastgate

Well, no one has been making corn tortillas for thousands of years , since corn isn't old enough.

When is it you think corn showed up?

Silly argument to have, I suppose, Eastgate, and this probably isn't the thread to have it.

But...

I've read that it's generally accepted by folks that care about and study these things that corn was being grown in the Americas as early as 3000 BC.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well, no one has been making corn tortillas for thousands of years , since corn isn't old enough.

Silly argument to have, I suppose, Eastgate, and this probably isn't the thread to have it.

But...

I've read that it's generally accepted by folks that care about and study these things that corn was being grown in the Americas as early as 3000 BC.

Yes. With a caveat, tho': the wild corn they started to domesticate produced tiny cobs, roughly 1 cm in length. It took farmers 1500 years worth of artificial selection to develop six inch cobs. The sizes you're used of now, that you'd want to be farming to produce any kind of decent amount of raw cornmeal, are fairly modern. No idea when the production of tortillas started but it's doubtful those tiny corn cobs of 3000BC would've provided the bulk of the diet.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

But...

Yes. With a caveat, tho': the wild corn they started to domesticate produced tiny cobs, roughly 1 cm in length. It took farmers 1500 years worth of artificial selection to develop six inch cobs. The sizes you're used of now, that you'd want to be farming to produce any kind of decent amount of raw cornmeal, are fairly modern. No idea when the production of tortillas started but it's doubtful those tiny corn cobs of 3000BC would've provided the bulk of the diet.

I was under the impression that there were no examples of wild corn!

I don't want to be dismissive, but this argument is kind of silly. The foundation of the Meso American diet was corn, chiles and beans. We can argue for how many thousands of years, but they've been eating corn for a hell of a long time.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray