• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Substitute

Shel_B

My GF has a minor allergy to tomatoes. I don't, and enjoy dishes made with tomato sauce. What can be substituted for tomato sauce in pasta, pizza, stews, etc., that might satisfy both of us?

... Shel

If you're talking about approximating the flavour, I'd have to say 'Nothing'(although weirdly, strawberries sometimes remind me of tomato), and substitutions don't usually work out to well. But if you're looking for other things with rich flavour, the first things to come to mind are mushrooms, particularly if they're roasted or grilled. If dairy is okay, I'd try to intensify the flavour of the cheese on pizza. Meat sauces with no (or at least very little) tomato are great with pasta, and starting with a rich broth does a lot for stews and soups. When I make pasta and have no tomatoes, I'll just toss it in a little duck fat, and add capers/olives preserved in oil/small pieces of prosciutto,

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Pesto, Tapenade, eggplant, ummm

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 month later...

What about pureed red pepper or mushroom?

We both like red peppers, and enjoy them in salads and in other vegetable dishes. Maybe I can play around with peppers/mushrooms and come up with something enjoyable for both of us. Thanks!

... Shel