• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Exhausted after Holiday cooking

highchef

Anyone else in my position? parents are gone so we are The grandparents! Wow! That came on like a ton of bricks!

4 pies, turkey and six sides, doing the whole thing as fresh as possible and making sure everyone gets their favorites. Salads,2 potatoes,organic as i can get,......and I'm frickin tired! Man, if I lived near a whole foods, well, there'd be a lot more salads!

I cooked take-home-and-reheat dinners at work Wednesday, then cooked for a potluck today. The good news is that everything worked out, plus, I managed to make a killer bread pudding from leftover sticky buns. The best news is that I'm finally home relaxing with my feet up! Back to it tomorrow...

Just got back from 13 hours of cooking at work, for about 500+ people. I worked one of the apps, and the turkey entree from part of the 4 course dinner we were doing. Everyone and their mother ordered the damn turkey as the third course choice. So yes, i'm a little tired. If I even see another damn turkey in the near future i'm going to vomit.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

This is the first year in about 20 that I didn't cook one thing for Thanksgiving, but yes...I really getcha. Every year, I do a huge Thanksgiving, for 8-20 people, then start in on "the buckets" which go out to around 35 people, give or take a few, for the holidays. They are comprised of a few varieties of cookies, a few pounds of fudge, and some random new confection that I try every year. Also, as a Christmas gift for a beloved aunt, I cook for her and her brother, a month's worth of multi-course meals. Then, every year, a New Years Eve all night themed cocktail party that I cater.

Then, we eat salads, takeout, and one pot meals till March, because I barely even want to step foot in my kitchen.

Deer back is backstrap, no? the best part! Brown and braise, I treat it to a good red and some veal stock! excellent choice for a holiday meal!

You guys have me feeling bad for bitchin...I'm feeling lots better now. Except for my feet, they're still wanting a soak and massage.

Right on bout the turkey, Christmas Has to be something else. I'm leaning to lamb, with a salad with any leftovers the next day. I really,really cannot do another turkey that soon, even if I've finally got the thing down perfectly...

School starts back on Monday, I'll worry about it later, after I've had a few days off, and no teenagers to feed all day.

This was my first Thanksgiving back in the US in 8yrs so I went a bit overboard. We also travelled to my partner's hometown of Milwaukee. Im exhausted. This year I cooked for 20. I baked a lot more than I ever bake for Thanksgiving. 2 pumpkin pies, 1 apple pie( all scratch), a 9 x 13 cake, magic cookie bars, ginger cookies, peanut butter blossoms, pecan pie bars, black magic cupcakes with vanilla bean frosting. I made chex mix, 2 dips, turkey, stuffing, potatoes, sweet potatoes, homemade rolls, gravy, homemade green bean casserole and cranberry sauce. It was so much work, but a lot of fun and there were hardly any leftovers so I guess that is the best compliment.