• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food & Drink of Boardwalk Empire

Chris Amirault

One ep in and I'm hooked on HBO's new "Boardwalk Empire." Being a Scorcese joint and following in the tradition of such HBO classics as "The Sopranos," "Deadwood," and more, it's no surprise that booze and grub have already made major cameos.

Case in point: we've learned that, in the basement of a funeral home, bootleggers made ersatz bourbon, rum, and scotch by adding some caramel color and other flavorings to formaldehyde. Meanwhile, the Canadian Club "imports" are starting in earnest.

Anyone else watching Nucky & Co?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Absolutely hooked after the 1st ep.!!

My maternal grandfather, a Polish immigrant in the late 1890's ran a speak-easy (and later a legitimate bar after The Repeal) in South Chicago during Prohibition.

The family, 3 kids, and Grampa & Gramma, lived upstairs, above the family business (aka that speak-easy), as was common in those days in large cities. In Chicago, being Chicago, the cops & the local civic officials turned a blind eye to activities that may have been on the "fringes" of the law, if not blatently illegal. In Chicago, being Chicago in the '20's, the cops & the local civic officals were probably the best customers of Grampa Stanley's Club Encore !

Anyway, my mother used to tell the story of how she was sent up to the landing between the speak-easy and the flat, where there was a trap door under the linoleum. She must've been 10 or 12 at the time. Under the trap door, they stored 5 gallon bottles of pure alcohol (thank GOD there was never a fire, oy !!!). They'd bring down a 5 gallon bottle, distribute it into empty whiskey bottles, cut it with the proper amount of water, and color it with burnt sugar.

Well, one time little Stella (later Frieda, she hated Stella) was up on the landing, and had the linoleum rolled back, and the trap door open, and the stash exposed, and who should come a' callin' but The Feds. Yeppers, the G-Men. Maybe even Eliot Ness himself (doubtful, but hey, who can verify...?). They tried to haul little Stella into the paddy wagon, but Grampa Stanley and Gramma Mary put up a rather vociferous protest, and little Stella was spared. This being the 20's and all, there was some level of compassion, even from the G-Men, for women and children. Grampa Stanley, however, was summarily cuffed and hauled off in the back of the paddy wagon. And immediately released upon his arrival at the local hoosegaw, where no doubt the local constabulary recognized Grampa Stanley as the fine purveyor of many a delightful beverage they, themselves had consumed more than once !

No wonder I loves me my cocktails ! It's genetic !!!

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Case in point: we've learned that, in the basement of a funeral home, bootleggers made ersatz bourbon, rum, and scotch by adding some caramel color and other flavorings to formaldehyde. Meanwhile, the Canadian Club "imports" are starting in earnest.

This is an interesting take; my impression was that the 'distiller' simply told Jimmy that his drink contained formaldehyde just to mess with the kid. I couldn't imagine he would actually sell the stuff with such an additive and hope to maintain a consistent consumer base, so I figured that Jimmy's reaction was simply due to the poor quality of spirit. If you're right, though, wow, that guy's more dastardly than I had believed.