• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Expedition: Chile & Argentina

I am traveling to Santiago, Chile 29th of October 2010 and leaving from Buenos Aires on Nov 16th. The purpose of the first 10 days is to enjoy the food and wine of both places. I am not neccesarily looking for the 3 star restaurant, but more of the local rustic hidden spots. I lived in Vietnam for a year and was able to travel by motobike throughout the entire counrty and finding the most remote and delicious spots. I want to do the same in both Chile and Argentina (in 10 days). The 2nd part of the trip will be in Buenos Aires (business school exchange program), so any suggestions in and around the area would be great.

Food and Wine is the #1 purpose, but my wife and I are also considering moving to these areaa after I graduate from business school. As a result, if anyone has any references and/or networks in the operation & strategy consulting field, those are welcome as well.

Thank you,

GastroRoots

In BA there's a place outside of town (on the river) called 'via del vaca' (or something similar - it roughly translates to 'way of the cow.'

They have a (very) impressive collection of meats on the grill, and my memory of the quality was good. There was one cut called, if I remember correctly, metremas. It was super thin beef with a super thin layer of fat on it - amazing taste.

You'll remember the beef all across the region. My first steak was memorable for the fact that it was so good, and my host made it a point to remind me that we were at his least favorite place.

My trip was memorable for the fact that on the last night, we ate at a horrible chinese place, and I was pining for another bife de lomo.

Have fun!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 3 weeks later...

I am traveling to Santiago, Chile 29th of October 2010 and leaving from Buenos Aires on Nov 16th. The purpose of the first 10 days is to enjoy the food and wine of both places. I am not neccesarily looking for the 3 star restaurant, but more of the local rustic hidden spots. I lived in Vietnam for a year and was able to travel by motobike throughout the entire counrty and finding the most remote and delicious spots. I want to do the same in both Chile and Argentina (in 10 days). The 2nd part of the trip will be in Buenos Aires (business school exchange program), so any suggestions in and around the area would be great.

Food and Wine is the #1 purpose, but my wife and I are also considering moving to these areaa after I graduate from business school. As a result, if anyone has any references and/or networks in the operation & strategy consulting field, those are welcome as well.

Thank you,

GastroRoots