• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greatest pastry chefs ever?

roosterchef21

I was just thinking I have never seen a list made for the greatest pastry chefs ever. I've seen a greatest chef list but never pastry. If you could make a list who would be in your top 10? Would Lenotre or Bellouet be at or near the top? Would contemporaries such as Torreblanca, Balaguer, Bau or Duytsche make it? I'm interested to know.

I don't know about ever, but in terms of pastry chefs whose desserts I've been able to sample directly I've been most impressed with Philippe Conticini. The man has so much raw, effortless brilliance and every one of his creations that I've sampled has made me think.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If we're talking ever, I suppose Carême and Chiboust would need to go in?

And a modern list wouldn't be complete without Hermé and Lenôtre (most French pâtissiers would agree, I'm sure).

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

I'll give a sentimental fictional vote for Ragueneau from Cyrano de Bergerac. Feeder of poets and warriors (and a poet/warrior). Cyrano was actually based on a real person (sans the famous love tragedy). I wonder if a Ragueneau could have also existed....

In addition to most of those mentioned, my list would include some contemporary chefs that may not have stood the test of years at this point but have been much more influential on what I do than the traditional greats. I guess it remains to be seen if pastry chefs like Sam Mason and Michael Laiskonis will be recognized by the masses as being among the all-time greats on down the road... but they'll always be on my list.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.