• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dock and Dine in Old Saybrook, CT for Lunch (again)

Scargo

Last year we went to Old Saybrook, on CT's coast, specifically to try Dock and Dine for lunch. I said this on my Google Maps listing:

This does have a good view and fair food. I would give this a three of five stars. Mostly for atmosphere. Enjoy the view of all the boats passing by. You can sit outside (about a dozen tables), or the dining room has lots of glass to accentuate the view.

Food is not cheap! $20-28 entrees. You pay for the view. If you are outside, they treat you like children by not allowing glass. They do not bring you clean silverware for the entree. Overall, service was good. There are a lot of retired people who eat here so much of the food is under-seasoned. There are a lot of kids of all ages. Expensive if you expect classy dining and first class food, which is what you would expect anywhere else at this price level.

Well, we wanted to eat at Liv's Oyster Bar in Old Saybrook, but it was not open for lunch. We went down a block to Jack's Steaks and it looks as if they have gone out of business. So, we went back to Dock and Dine.

Our second trip got us real wine glasses! Have they changed their policy? Food was decent and service good. The oysters were poorly shucked and had lots of shell detritus. The lobster salad roll was very good and the fish and chips about average. We got an old wrinkled up pickle slice. Food was under-seasoned again.

It really is a nice spot to eat and watch the heavy boat activity. Lots are regularly passing by.

As we passed through the restaurant to sit outside, I thought the bar area (on the inside), smelled really bad; like piss, stale beer and a fishmonger's business. The carpet in that area looked really bad.

I went in the men's room and the smell of urine was quite strong. Stay outside (or as far away from the bar as you can), if you have a good nose!

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...