• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fun with a Benriner

vgordin

I had some fun with my new Benriner slicer today. Combined raw beets, carrots, mcintosh apples, parsley, lemon juice, vegetable oil, and salt for a tasty summer salad. (I made a salad of raw zuccini, olive oil, and cilantro yesterday but alas have no pictures of that to share)

Early%20June-6.jpg

Now I'm wondering... what do you make with your slicers, and what would you suggest I try next with mine?

-Vadim

Edited by vgordin (log)

This may seem pretty obvious, but i recently started using mine to get an even ' shred ' for braised cabbage and coleslaw. It also works like a dream for slicing corn off the cob.

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

Our family has always used it for cucumber salad; either tossed with salt, sugar and vinegar alone, or enriched with sour cream. I also use it to make my own pickled ginger.