• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast marrow bones for service

saltimbocca

I was curious how you would handle marrow bones for a hot app menu item? Could you partially roast them and then give them a flash in a hot oven? I did a test and and they were done in about 15 min in a 375f convection oven from raw but I have a feeling during service when the oven gets busy it will take longer. Any help would be appreciated.

Where I work we did a roasted marrow hot app just the other week, actually. Partial roast then a flash works fine, although we tend to keep our oven a little higher than 375. Even then, as long as you aren't working straight from raw when you get the orders fired, it shouldn't take all that long.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

I imagine it would depend on the conditions of the bone itself, that being the thickness of the bone versus marrow if it is a cross cut, or the length of the bone, or even if it is cut lengthwise. Bone is a surprisingly good insulator, as is my experience from plating from a 400 degree oven bare handed. Perhaps I was in the weeds and too quick in the moment to notice, however.

As I've had them at Alembic in SF, and we do at the Coopers in Madison, they are cut lengthwise and I would imagine take much less time in the oven. For us, its 10 - 12 minutes in the 400 degree convection from raw. This has inspired me to do some experiments in par-cooking, however.

Tim

Thanks for the posts. I'm just going to put them on the menu and deal with it. I'll just crank up my convection oven and do them from raw. I honestly don't think I'll sell a lot. Not to be negative but I know my clients. But I have to keep trying or else I'm dead as a chef.

Thanks for the posts. I'm just going to put them on the menu and deal with it. I'll just crank up my convection oven and do them from raw. I honestly don't think I'll sell a lot. Not to be negative but I know my clients. But I have to keep trying or else I'm dead as a chef.

Bah breaks my heart when you have a great special you really want to do, but you know inside that 85% of your customer base just wont order it, for whatever reason. Still, those few that do order it and like you, you want to go give them a hug lol

Have fun with the marrow :-p

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

• 1 year later...

I'll use this old thread for a similar question: what would be the best method for serving onion soup and bone marrow toast a la henderson for crowd (from a home kitchen)? Can I pre-roast the bones, keep the marrow in the fridge and spread on toast, toast in oven, and toss in soup that's waiting hot?

why dont you just cook the bones and serve them whole so everyone can dip into them and spread them onto their own toast - such a great, fun visual!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man