• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Refrigerating Cooked Meat (Poultry)

jessicahowles

Hi, I roasted a whole chicken today and I can't seem to finish it. It is nightime now and I was thinking about refrigerating it. And that got me thinking. I remember the last time I did that, the chicken became spoilt. There was a distinct bad smell. But on the other hand, I do remember it is always possible to refrigerate KFC chicken pieces overnight. So can a cooked piece of chicken be refrigerated over night or is KFC an exception because of the preservatives they put into their chicken? Any one have any experiences? I may have to finish the whole chicken tonight if it can't be.

The USDA says, "If a food has been left in the 'Danger Zone' – between 40 and 140°F – for more than 2 hours, discard it, even though it may look and smell good." They tend to be ultra-cautious with this type of recommendation, so if your chicken was roasted to the proper temperature, I suspect you'd have a little more leeway. Re refrigeration, I concur with BadRabbit: four days should be fine, assuming your fridge is between 32° and 40°F. If you're not going to eat it before then, remove the meat and freeze it, preferably vacuum-packed, then use the carcass to make stock.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A sense of humor is a measurement of the extent to which you realize that you are trapped in a world almost entirely devoid of reason. Laughter is how you release the anxiety you feel at this knowledge." -Dave Barry, humorist

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set. -Lin Yutang, writer and translator

Leftovers from my Sunday chicken are promptly put in a sealed food box and then in the fridge.

I have had no problems keeping such for four or five days.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I agree with the others. I would mention that refrigerator temperature can be a factor. Things seem to hold quality for days longer in my new fridge. I stayed somewhere for two weeks last year and things were going off in a day- turns out the fridge was the problem when I had maintenance come take a look.