• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marinate or Braise a Lamb Roast

Shel_B

This morning I was given a beautiful lamb roast, and I'd like to marinate and grill it or braise it. I have a wonderfully, fruity red wine, an unlimited supply of fresh rosemary, and plenty of garlic. What other ingredients might you suggest for the purposes mentioned. A couple of recipes that I have (but have not tried) included some red wine vinegar in the marinade. That seems like a pretty heavy handed way to add acid - any thoughts on the vinegar?

Also, I thought making some slits in the lamb about putting some garlic cloves and rosemary springs directly into the meat. However, I'm concerned that, if the lamb is grilled, the inserted garlic and especially the rosemary may burn or char, and cause an off taste. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

... Shel

I don't agree with 'marinating' proteins in acids. I dont like what it does to the texture. As far as lamb goes, its already a fairly young, tender protein so I would just grill or roast it to med rare-med. Puree or cut the garlic(go easy or you wont taste lamb) and rosemary with some olive oil and black pepper and let it sit in the mixture for a few hours.

Pair with a stronger, more cooked-fruit esque wine like a syrah type or cab.

My two cents.

With a boned leg, you can butterfly it and grill it like a steak. I like a one-day (maximum; any more and you'll end up with mush) bath in full fat yogurt, which is then wiped off and replaced with a dry rub of your choice (though a paste of garlic and salt with lots of sage and freshly crushed coriander would be mine) and another day in the 'fridge. Use indirect heat on your gas or charcoal grill (add smoking chips/wood if you got it) and, when done, you've got lamb pastrami.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report