• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garnish for apple mousse

petrus

In his book "Blanc Mange" (BBC Books 1994) Raymond Blanc has a photo of an apple mousse. The top of the mousse is garnished with what look like folded strips of vanilla pod or maybe bits of apple [perhaps sliced very thinly] and then glazed. The whole effect is very attractive but the text makes no reference to the garnish.

Has anyone a technique for making this sort of garnish?

Petrus

I think you might be right about the caramelised apple; it would fit with the rest of the dish. I had thought of trying to scan in the page but there would be copyright issues.

Regards

Peter

In his book "Blanc Mange" (BBC Books 1994) Raymond Blanc has a photo of an apple mousse. The top of the mousse is garnished with what look like folded strips of vanilla pod or maybe bits of apple [perhaps sliced very thinly] and then glazed. ...

Don't have that Blanc book, so cannot comment specifically on that photo...

HOWEVER, did you notice on 'Kitchen Secrets' the slicing of whole cored apples to rings on a bacon slicer?

AND - why not contact the man himself?

This would be no bad time, since the poor chap is still laid up, having broken a leg in five places by falling down stairs almost two months ago.

He is constantly soliciting for feedback on his blog and via Twitter.

http://twitter.com/raymond_blanc

http://www.raymondblanc.com/blogs/kitchen-secrets-the-final-episode.aspx

Give it a go!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Slice the apple as thin as possible.

Dust well with powdered sugar.

Lay on parchment paper lined tray and bake at low heat .

Slices'll suck back humidity within a few hours if you don't use them right away or store in an airtight tin....

Thanks; I believe Edward J probably has the answer. I think the apples were sliced on a mandolin and then thin segments cut off the circumference (showing a lot of skin on one side) and these were then treated in the way suggested.

I didn't know Raymond had broken his leg, poor bloke. I will visit his blog (and maybe ask him why some of the recipes for his Kitchen Secrets series are not available on the BBC website :rolleyes:

Regards

Petrus

The bacon slicer for ultra fine slicing of whole apples was at the end of Kitchen Secrets programme 6 (on bread and pastries) - not the apple programme.

Though RB is "off games" for a while to recuperate from what seems to have been a very nasty accident indeed, he has been taking a break :huh: (from trying to write another book), and visiting family and friends in Europe. But according to his Tweets, at this very moment he is en route back towards the UK.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan